Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Working with Locks and Keys

Locks and Keys

The other day I found some inexpensive locks and decided to put together a fine motor activity for Michael.  With the keys all mixed up he would have to figure out first which key fit into which lock and then be able to twist and unlock each one.

Here is what I came up with:


 Michael has a natural curiosity and when I placed the basket before him he immediately picked up a lock and key. 



I watched how he sat there turning the lock over and trying to fit the key into it.  He did not get discouraged only picked up another key and tried it in the lock.   This is a good activity for him to work on concentration skills.  He kept at it.  When the key fit in he struggled to get it to unlock but he kept at it.





Michael spent several minutes working with them but could not get them to unlock.  I told him to keep practicing and he would eventually get it.  So for the next couple days he would stop by the basket and try and try to get a lock opened.  It took two days but now he can really open the locks!  He is also so proud of himself that he did it all by himself!  He takes the a lock out of the basket now and goes right to opening them.  Then he holds the lock up for us to see that he opened it.

I love the way he is proud of his accomplishments.  I love to design activities that get him to think and concentrate and feel success when he achieves something that at first was challenging.




Had to throw this last picture in.  We were at the playground at the school and Michael read the words, "General Store."  I told him it meant a store that sold lots of different things.  Michael took my order and then said he was out of that but I could have an ice cream. 

We played in the evening with imagined cones dripping, our minds on our play, and the beautiful sun lighting our moments.

 I was reminded of the countless pizza deliveries Jimmy made up to me on his bike with training wheels, and Andrew's ice cream cone business he made to me when on his tricycle.  All those imagined play times melding into this one here where I am again playing with a son, now Michael, who creates his own dishes for me. 

And I am filled with the magic of memories blending with today's similar inspirations and I smile for all three of my boys, all who I cherish and enjoy their creative play and fine dishes.  It's good to be a mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment