Friday, May 18, 2012

Vintage Fisher Price Afternoon!

Did you know I liked to thrift?

Today we found the Fisher Price Garage to add to our vintage collection.     My sister Beth and I trekked about Franklin County this morning and there inside a vintage home was the vintage garage!  I scooped it up for just a few dollars and we spent an enjoyable day getting lost on the back roads of Vermont!

After I cleaned it up, Michael and I went right into play mode!  He got out his little people, his matchbox cars, the vintage boat, and the airplane.  I was transported back to my own childhood as I played with him and his vivid imagination.  I remember Johnny and I playing with similar Fisher Price toys, and it made me smile so!

Here is the boat we found at Christmas.

 The table and grill were  a rare find
at Goodwill.




Does anyone else remember this?  I made so many pretend BBQ's with this,
it was funny to bring those memories back from so long ago.



Michael raced about today with the plane full of passengers.



Michael and I had lots of fun playing with these.  He is still playing and talking to the little people right now as I write this.  He is wheeling the plane down the hallway towards the garage.  I do like to see him living out his imaginings.   Childhood needs to be cherished and protected for as long as we can for our children.  There can be so much hardship and pain in life that I want to keep Michael's  life as sweet and safe and happy as I can.  I wish that for all children.


I wonder how real his stories are to him.  Cartoons are still just as real as any other show.  He believes the cartoons are in real life.  How real are the little people he talks to?  So sweet.  The matchbox cars are
speeding down the garage and he talks to them, gives them tickets to pass by the gate.





I am reminded of my childhood where days were filled with imagined tales, friends and family, and toys
that were good for making the stories come alive.  How great to find some vintage toys and share the time with Michael without blinking lights and screeching toys, but the wheels of his imagination spinning great tales for us to act out.

If you have time stop in to a thrift store, walk about and find a memory to relive.  Today I walked past my grandmother's old plastic cups with the 60's pink hue and the wicker-look behind the plastic.  I thought about her and smiled.  Grandma Isabelle had so much to share with me, I miss her.

Happy Hunting all.

No comments:

Post a Comment